Extra Features

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:23 AM
Edited Apr 16, 2010 at 3:24 AM

What needs to be done to support/display individual cell monitoring?

Basically, what I am hoping could be implemented is another section on the dashboard home screen that displays the highest and lowest cell voltage, and a button/link to a cells/battery screen that provides information of all cells being monitored (hi/lo voltage, temp, DOD, etc).

Also, is there any documentation that explains how to customise the display (theme/layout) of EV Dashboard? It would be great if users could change this to suit their install (ie. colours being used, background image of home screen, etc).

Thanks.

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Those are great suggestions. The second tab shows the voltages for each cell in the pack. It has bms defined limits for green, yellow and red battery images so you can tell in an instant which cells are getting low. It is really handy. I'll post a picture of this.

Thanks

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM
Sounds great John, thanks for the reply. Is it possible to show other things on the first screen/home screen though? ie. Is EV Dashboard easily "themed" to change color and layout of gauges and levels displayed? Thanks.
Coordinator
Apr 20, 2010 at 1:46 AM

The backend bms implementations can be easily written or modified to send different data to the front end. On the front end, the graphics/text features can be modified too. Perhaps you could post a suggestion in the issue tracker section with some details of what you would like to see. Members then vote on the features to tackle first.

Thanks

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:14 AM
It isn't so much that I want to see more, but rather be able to change the color/layout/style of the front end to suit. I'll post a few pics to show what I was after - that'll give you a better idea of what I am trying to say. I'll post something up in an hour or so. Thanks.
Apr 20, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Here is that mockup of what I was trying to explain. It's basically just a "skin", changing the layout, colours, and gauge designs to suit my EV, laid over top of the EV Dashboard device you had on your website:

I think if you can make it easily skinable, then it will allow for some great skins to be created by the community and inturn make EV Dashboard more appealing.

Developer
Apr 20, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I like this.  What type of software tool did you use to create it?

Mark.

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:23 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Hi Mark. I did it in illustrator and photoshop. It took about 30 minutes to get right :)

If EV Dashboard devs can add an easy way to skin it, then the potential for UIs is endless and only limited by the imagination of those creating them :)

I added a few extra links for GPS and MP3s, as the device being used is actually a WinCE5 GPS from what I can tell, that has had EV Dashboard loaded over top. In the mean time, I actually use MioPocket atm on my doubledin headunit, so I'm going to try and mod MioPocket to look like the above and then try and run the EV Dashboard app from within MioPocket :)

Leslie

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2010 at 3:28 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2010 at 3:46 PM

The background image, position and size of the text boxes can be set programmatically, from an input file. This could be done, perhaps, using the App.config file. Are there examples of "skinning" code out there? Also, check out these images for ideas: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=174228&postcount=20

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:54 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM

The easiest "skinning" code to use would be something similar to what "Simple Unlock" uses for their WinCE5 unlock software. Basically it uses a simple config file that lists things in a real easy to understand format.

eg:

GLOBALSETTINGS
ShowMessage = 0
QuitOnDoubleClick = no
X = 0
Y = 0
Width = 480
Height = 272
Arrange = No
BackgroundBitmap = \Storage Card\icons\background.bmp
StartUpAnimation = NoAnimation
ShutDownAnimation = NoAnimation
Accelerated = yes
TopMost = no

BITMAPBUTTON
x = 20
y = 30
Command = \Storage Card\GPS\TomTom\TomTom Navigator.exe
BitmapNormal = \Storage Card\Icons\TomTom.bmp
BitmapPushed = \Storage Card\Icons\TomTom1.bmp

BITMAPBUTTON
x = 110
y = 30
Command = \Storage Card\GPS\iGO\iGO8.exe
BitmapNormal = \Storage Card\Icons\igo.bmp
BitmapPushed = \Storage Card\Icons\igo1.bmp

The "x" and the 'y" values are the top-left pixel position of the image/icon being used for the background or the buttons. So "x = 0" and "y = 0" would place the background.bmp image's top left corner in the top left of the LCD monitor. While "x = 20" and "y = 30" would place the first button's top left corner 20 pixels from the left and 30 pixels from the top of the LCD monitor.

You can find further info about "simple unlock" <a href="http://www.freewebs.com/xtyler91/">HERE</>

Leslie

GLOBALSETTINGS
ShowMessage = 0
QuitOnDoubleClick = no
X = 0
Y = 0
Width = 480
Height = 272
Arrange = No
BackgroundBitmap = ..\icons\tryme12.bmp
StartUpAnimation = NoAnimation
ShutDownAnimation = NoAnimation